see jane read

swap reviews with people who read books

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

How we are hungry

Title: How We Are Hungry

Author: David Eggers
Genre: fiction - short stories
Rating:

What they said: Links to reviews

What I say:
Damn. I can't believe I did it again. I got suckered into reading yet another David Eggers book.

The first time this happened, I succumbed to a title: A heartbreaking work of staggering genius. I laughed and cried for the first few chapters, then, as Eggers promised in his prologue, the book fell apart. And man, did it ever get old fast.

The second time was You shall know our velocity. Again with the captivating title. Again with the engaging first few chapters. Again with the disappointment!

So why did I let this happen again? How we are hungry is a book of short stories. They can't fall apart, right? They can't sucker me in, then disappoint after the first 200 pages. But they can just suck outright.

The entire book is not without merit. "There are some things he should keep to himself" was delightful. Five pages, gloriously free of any of Eggers's writing. It's unfortunate that he resorts to such gimmickry. But that is ungenerous of me. That one is not the only story I loved. Despite myself, I enjoyed "Up the mountain coming down slowly," and "When they learned to yelp" left a lump in my throat that has yet to go away.

This anthology of short stories truly is a mixed bag. When it is good, Eggers manages to whisper stories that touch life both violently and intimately. But when he starts to shout, all I read is noise.

Be patient with him. Don't read too quickly. You just might like it.

~a m i~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home