see jane read

swap reviews with people who read books

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Da Vinci Code

Title: The Da Vinci Code

Author: Dan Brown
Genre: fiction
Rating:

What they said: Links to reviews

What I say:

I really didn't want to like this book. I promise you, reader, I tried my best not to. The problem is that it's so darned compelling...

How does one review a book that spent so many weeks/months/years at the top of the New York Times Bestseller list and manage to sound original?

Read this because you want to feel suspense.
Read it because you'll guess wrong.
Read this book because you want to know her secret.
Read it and decide for yourself how fictional it is, or is not.

Do not open this book unless you have time to finish it. The writer of this review will not be held responsible for missed work, skipped appointments, broken dates or missed season finales of bad reality TV as a result of the reading of this book. Consider yourself warned.

~a m i~

1 Comments:

  • At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not really sure why this book caused so much controversy and upset so many people. I certainly didn't find anything offensive in it. The reason I read it in the first place was that I saw an article asking all good Christians not to. Naturally, as a good Christian, I went out and bought a copy on the spot, just to see what all the fuss was about. I found it fascinating! Not just the story, but the way the author blends fact and fiction so skillfully you can't tell where one begins and the other ends. I don't know of anyone else who has done it so well. It makes you want to learn more about history, about art. Just the fact that so many people have so many questions about the Da Vinci Code, and are talking so much about it, is proof to me that it is an important book. After all, if the function of great art is to provoke, (as a famous person whose name escapes me once said) then Dan Brown must truly be a great artist.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home